Saturday, July 16, 2011

First impressions: my village is perfect.


As the poda-poda (bus) rolls out of Makeni, I can hardly believe I’m finally going to see the place that will be my home for the next two years. After a few hours on a paved highway, we pull off onto a bumpy dirt road. The bus lurches and groans, but outside the windows the hilly wilderness of Salone is beautiful. After five hours of traveling, I reach Bo – the second largest city here. From there, it’s another 17 miles to my village, Sembehun.

Quickly, the crowded streets of Bo are replaced with rice fields and gently sloping hills. Along the street, I see a group of about 100 children dressed in grey school uniforms. So this is home, I think as the taxi pulls to a stop.

As my principal (who traveled with me from Makeni) and I get out of the car, my soon-to-be students begin signing a song they prepared for the occasion. To the rhythm of drums and young voices, we all proceed to the school – Kankaylay Islamis Junior Secondary – for a welcoming ceremony. After greeting my fellow teachers, community members, and sector chiefs, giving a quick speech in Krio, and listening to everyone’s words of welcome, I get to go visit my new house.  

My house is still being renovated, but I love it! I have papayas, oranges, avocados, and mangos growing in my backyard. There’s a small outdoor kitchen, space for a vegetable garden, and a well that’s not too far away.

Right now, I’m back in Makeni, but I can’t wait to move to my site in August!

2 comments:

  1. You paint a beautiful picture, Kenley. I'm so happy you have a new home that you are comfortable with. We miss you! Love, Aunt Dale Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Kenley, I am glad you enjoy your new place! I like your description of that place - beautiful, energetic, curious and a sense of wonderful! I could imagine that picture!
    I am at home in China relaxing and studying French. It is a bit boring.. Anyway, I hope to hear more updates from you and talk to you soon.

    -Tristan

    ReplyDelete